Monday, November 10, 2008

Foundation News

Last night I spoke about the Foundation to AAFCS (American Association of Family and Consumer Science) at Northwest. Becci belonged to this group and spoke to them last year. They did a stuffed animal drive for us last spring and are planning one this year too. I have talked to several different groups of all different walks and ages, but this was my first campus group. I usually just wing it and see where the discussion goes. Little kids always want to talk about the stuffed animals and any experiences they have had at the hospital or even the doctor. They are always so full of stories, but some of their questions do bring tears. Adult groups usually want to know about all the good things we are doing, how we are turning the tragedy into something good for others. But last night was the first time I have talked about more of the details of the accident and outcome of the sentence. That was just the way the questions went. I thought it was appropriate that we discuss the involvement of alcohol in the accident and its outcome since he was a college student. If it makes just one person stop, think, and not get behind the wheel of a car, then it's worth it. And in all actuality, it is probably good for me to start talking about it a little more. I have only relived the day to just a very few people because it's just still so emotionally painful and probably always will be. I do hope someday to be able to go into the schools and share things with them in hopes of instilling responsible drinking in them at that age. I hope that seeing a local person that has been affected in this way might make a bigger impact than someone that they will just see for the time they are speaking.

In other Foundation news...
Wow! I cannot believe we just received our third Wells Fargo donation. ($300 for closing a loan with Wells Fargo is donated to a nonprofit of their choice) This one came from Cory and Sarah Money. Thanks for thinking of us!
MMS Octagan Club gathered some animals for us from students. I'll try to snap some photos and post them later. Thanks to them for taking on our cause!

No comments:

Post a Comment